Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
"Lee Morgan" <LMorgan923@t...>
Date:  Sat Apr 7, 2001  4:15 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Power Performance for Singers Workshop

<<In a message dated 4/5/01 3:12:09 AM, dorisopran@a... writes:

<< << 1) Alma talked about that as performers, we have to perform for
ourselves,
not the audience, or any other reason, and we need to take ownership of our
performances by not giving anything away.

I'm completely lost on whatever point this is supposed to be. I can see no
good in thinking this way. What does it mean to "take ownership of one's
performance by not giving anything away?" I'm sorry, but a performance IS
for the audience. >>

Hi Doris!

I agree that this seems to be a very confusing concept. My guess is that
what
was meant is that we singers have to enjoy our performance, the act of
singing, in and of itself before we can share the joy with our audience.
Does
this make more sense?

Judy>>

Or perhaps that our primary motivation can't be gaining the audience's
approval. I think one of the reasons that some people get such awful stage
fright is because they're worrying too much about whether or not the
audience will like them, or their voice, or what they do with the music, or
whatever. I find that approaching a performance (or an audition, for that
matter - one of which I have tomorrow) with the thought of having music that
I love which I want to share with the audience keeps me from being nervous
and makes me a better performer because my focus is in the right place. The
right place, of course, being the music and what it has to say.
I can buy that "owning one's performance" could be equated with taking your
joy in performance from feeling that you have presented the music well
rather than from feeling that the audience has approved of what you've done.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com