Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Ginny Allen" <revginny@w...>
"Ginny Allen" <revginny@w...>
Date:  Fri Apr 6, 2001  4:03 pm
Subject:  MUSIC ED; Kids' Answers

Music Lovers,
I thought this might keep you smiling as you go into the weekend.
Have a good one. Ginny Allen

CHILDREN'S ANSWERS IN MUSIC EDUCATION.
These are stories and test questions accumulated by music teachers in the
state of Missouri, circa 1989. Source: Missouri School Music Newsletter.

* It is important to be able to reach the brakes on any piano.

* Just about any animal skin
can be stretched over a frame to make a pleasant sound
once the animal is removed.

* It is easy to teach anyone to play the maracas.
Just grip the neck and shake him in rhythm.

* My favorite instrument is the bassoon.
It is so hard to play people hardly ever play it.
That is why I like the bassoon best.

* The plural form of musical instrument
is known as orchestra.

* Tubas are a bit too much.

* A contra-bassoon is like a bassoon, only the opposite.

* The most dangerous part about playing cymbals
is near the nose.

* The flute is a skinny-shape-high-sounded instrument.

* Instrumentalist is a many-purposed word used by many player-types.

* Anyone who can read all the instrument notes
at the same time
gets to be the conductor.

* The main trouble with a French horn is
it's too tangled up.

* For some reason, they always put a treble clef
in front of every line of flute music. You just watch.

* The concertmaster of an orchestra is always the person
who sits in the first chair of the first violins.
This means that when a person is elected concertmaster,
he has to hurry up and learn how to play a violin real good.

* Question: Is the saxophone a brass or a woodwind instrument?
Answer: Yes.

* Last month I found out how a clarinet works by taking it apart.
I both found out and got in trouble.

* A bassoon looks like nothing I have ever heard.

* Cymbals are round, metal CLANGS!

* Question: What are kettle drums called?
* Answer: Kettle drums.

* When electric currents go through them,
guitars start making sounds. So would anybody.

* The double bass is also called
the bass viol, string bass, and bass fiddle.
It has so many names because it is so huge.

* While trombones have tubes,
trumpets prefer to wear valves.

* A trumpet is an instrument
when it is not an elephant sound.

* Another name for kettle drums is timpani.
Or else you can just stick with the first name and learn it good.

* Instruments come in many sizes, shapes and orchestras.

* A tuba is much larger than its name.

* My favorite composer is Opus.

* My very best liked piece of music is the Bronze Lullaby.

* Probably the most marvelous fugue
was the one between the Hatfields and the McCoys.

* Most authorities agree that music of antiquity
was written long ago.

* A good orchestra is always ready to play
if the conductor steps on the odium.

* Caruso was at first an Italian.
Then someone heard his voice
and said he would go a long way.
So that's why he came to America.

* Music sung by two people at the same time
is called a duel.

* When a singer sings, he stirs up the air
and makes it hit any passing eardrums.
But if he is good,
he knows how to keep it from hurting.

* In the last scene of Pagliacci, Canio stabs Nedda
who is the one he really loves.
Pretty soon Silvio also gets stabbed,
and they all live happily ever after.

* An opera is a song of bigly size.

* Aaron Copland is one of your most famous contemporary composers.
It is unusual to be contemporary.
Most composers do not live until they are dead.

* Handel was half German, half Italian, and half English.
He was rather large.

* John Sebastian Bach died from 1750 to the present.

* A virtuoso is a musician with real high morals.

* Refrain means don't do it.
A refrain in music is the part
you better not try to sing.

* Agnus Dei was a woman composer