Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
dorisopran@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  4:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Power Performance for Singers Workshop

earthbounddiva@w... writes:

<< 1) Alma talked about that as performers, we have to perform for ourselves,
not the audience, or any other reason, and we need to take ownership of our
performances by not giving anything away.

I'm completely lost on whatever point this is supposed to be. I can see no
good in thinking this way. What does it mean to "take ownership of one's
performance by not giving anything away?" I'm sorry, but a performance IS
for the audience. If I am projecting to no one beyond myself, I might as
well be sitting by myself just thinking the melody and the text. I would
have thought that owning one's performance was knowing the music and text so
well and integrating it with one's own experience that it becomes one's own
expression and attitude. Then you give this to your audience, and you are
giving of yourself to your audience, and at the same time, you and the entire
ensemble are the channel through which the composer continues to give.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10864 Re: Power Performance for Singers Workshop Lisa M. Nuske   Thu  4/5/2001   4 KB

emusic.com