Vocalist.org archive

From:  "michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
"michael.chesebro" <michael.chesebro@w...>
Date:  Thu Apr 5, 2001  1:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] not opening the mouth- suggestions from leading soprano

She also suggested
>> pushing out the lower abdomen but increasing the
>> amount of air flow on the top notes. "The top notes
>> are almost all air."

If I wanted to give a singer a nodule, the first thing I would do is tell
him/her to push air. Make your voice airy. Let lots of air through. The
vocal folds work by resisting airflow. You can take that principle too
far, however, all the wrecked voices I've encountered were air pushers. A
singer often has no idea why their voice functions in a particular way.
They have suspicions that they may believe in, but, applied to another
voice could be disastrous.

If you've had years of lessons, then you must have this instinct.

Be wary.
Michael E. Chesebro, M.A.,C.C.C., S.L.P.
Voice & Fax: 562/983-9965
Wireless: 562/884-2122

emusic.com