Vocalist.org archive

From:  Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Jennifer <ihateegroups@y...>
Date:  Tue Apr 3, 2001  10:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Off-topic: Search engines

> There's an ongoing debate on Copernic as to whether
> it is "adware/spyware" with not only their ads but >
they have a company (run
> a search for the comapny name) that targets the ads
> to the Copernic user.

However, you don't have to give them any (valid)
information when you originally download the program.
They have no way of knowing any individually
identifiable information about you, especially if your
ISP uses DHCP (which most do) which gives you a
different IP address every time you turn on your
computer.

> "Cookies" are a given.

Actually, they're not. You can set your browser to
reject cookies (in Netscape under
Edit/Preferences/Advanced and in IE under
Tools/Internet Options/Security/Custom Level). No
search engines that I have come across require you to
accept cookies to work.

I have used most major search engines and meta search
engines (the ones that look through other search
engines) and have found the one that works best for me
is Copernic (downloadable for free at
www.copernic.com). I always get relevant results near
the top of the list, and never get sites that are no
longer there or are irrelevant (hate those sex sites
that trick most search engines!).

The way Google works is by listing the ones that are
linked to the most by other sites, which means that if
a site is relatively new it may not be listed. I've
also heard rumours they are also beginning to accept
paid placement.

Jennifer