Vocalist.org archive

From:  Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Craig Tompkins <craigtompkins@t...>
Date:  Mon Apr 2, 2001  7:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] opera vs. lieder

"Lloyd W. Hanson" wrote:

> One of the greatest difficulties singers constantly face is the
> confusion by seemingly everyone about matters of technique and
> matters of style. If one know all of his/her technique then style is
> a choice. If one does not have full control of his/her technique
> then style is not a choice but a "take what you can get".
>

> For me technique is not style nor personality. Technique is the
> ability to have the voice do whatever one chooses within the limits
> of healthy vocal function. Sense of style and native personality are
> expressive matters which rely on technique for their realization.
>
> If the technique required for a particular style is not within the
> technical skill level of a particular singer, that singer cannot
> adequately perform in that style.
>
> If the personality required for a particular style cannot be executed
> because the technical skill level of that singer is inadequately
> developed, that singer will be unable bring that personality to
> realization.
>
> Too often we choose to ignore technical matters because they appear
> to be outside the realm of artistry but, in the case of singing, only
> technique can make the instrument that must be used for artistry
> available.

Thanks for this Lloyd!

I have on the wall of my studio a quote from Stuart Hamilton "It is not
possible to express a lofty thought or a beautiful idea with poor technique.
Musical singing is possible only after developing the basic tools to perform
with thoughtful expression and beauty." Most students quickly realize that
faults in their singing are always correctable by technical work, be that
performance, vocal, interpretive, language or any other problem. The
challenge for us as teachers is to identify the area that needs attention and
prescribe corrective measures. This can at times be a daunting task!!

Cheers
Craig, Burnaby BC

emusic.com