Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Mon Apr 2, 2001  6:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] opera vs. lieder

Dear Vocalisters:

I will make a short reply. I do not think there should be any
difference in techniques between singing opera and art song (lieder,
if you will). In each and all cases the literature should determine
matters of tone, phrasing, articulation, etc. all of which are style
matters.

One of the greatest difficulties singers constantly face is the
confusion by seemingly everyone about matters of technique and
matters of style. If one know all of his/her technique then style is
a choice. If one does not have full control of his/her technique
then style is not a choice but a "take what you can get".

This is the reason that many singers sing only art song. They do not
have the full control of their technique to sing opera.

This is also the reason the many singers sing only opera. They do not
have the full control of their technique to sing art song.

For me technique is not style nor personality. Technique is the
ability to have the voice do whatever one chooses within the limits
of healthy vocal function. Sense of style and native personality are
expressive matters which rely on technique for their realization.

If the technique required for a particular style is not within the
technical skill level of a particular singer, that singer cannot
adequately perform in that style.

If the personality required for a particular style cannot be executed
because the technical skill level of that singer is inadequately
developed, that singer will be unable bring that personality to
realization.

Too often we choose to ignore technical matters because they appear
to be outside the realm of artistry but, in the case of singing, only
technique can make the instrument that must be used for artistry
available.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy