Vocalist.org archive

From:  agoldhammer@y...
agoldhammer@y...
Date:  Mon Apr 2, 2001  6:27 pm
Subject:  Re: opera vs. lieder

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Isabelle Bracamonte
<ibracamonte@y...> wrote:
> Do you people think that opera and lieder require
> different types of singing?

Opera pays better and in the US there very few cities that sponsor
regular song recitals.

> opera? Why aren't the operatic superstars singing as
> much lieder as opera?

See above answer. Also, some like Hepner do have regular recital
tours. Others like Eaglen, also do but shouldn't.

>we
> "expect" French melodie to sound like that
> mosquito-voiced Ameling, while we expect Italian opera
> to have the tone quality of a Tebaldi?

Out of line on this one. I've seen Ameling on two occasions prior to
her retirement and would never characterize her as "mosquito-
voiced." She had not problem filling the hall with a wonderful clear
tone!

>Is it thus a
> self-perpetuating cycle,

If you pay they will come.