Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Domisosing@a...
Date:  Sun Apr 1, 2001  4:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing Louder

In a message dated 03/31/2001 2:59:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< Singing
softly, especially in the upper voice, is one of the
most difficult things to do -- it requires a voice
that has been through all the basic "grunt work" of
releasing tension, producing a clear and free tone,
balancing the registers, and working out breath
control. "

I have not found this to be true.
If I remember the initial post correctly, this student, most likely, has
problems with the initial adduction of the cords - balanced onset. If there
is little compression, her tone will be airy no matter where she sings.
However, as she sings higher her extrinsic laryngeal muscles will get more
involved in the singing process, she will then need more air pressure as she
ascends and the therefore the volume will most likely increase. SHe probably
feels as if she has a better upper end because of this. However, in the long
run, her tone will become strident, thin, and she will experience pitch
problems.
Mike's assessment that she needs to learn how to move through her passagi's
is right on. But it all must start in the right manner. Once she has
developed the proper onset in her chest voice, it will be much easier as she
ascends into the upper registers. In fact, singing loudly may be much more
difficult than singing softly because the muscles have not become strong
enough to hold back greater subglottic pressure. Volume is merely the amount
of air pressure the folds can hold back before being blown apart.I don't feel
that it has much to do with support at all. If the intrinsic muscles of the
larynx can't handle a large amount of pressure, it doesn't matter how much
air one is able to store up in the lungs themselves.
What I'm finding through my teaching and clinical observations is that many
singing problems boil down to a basic issue of adduction, or prephonatory
position. Once a balanced onset is achieved and is developed throughout a
singers voice, many of the problems of support, pitch, tension etc., are
eliminated.

Mary Beth Felker

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10780 Re: Singing Louder Isabelle Bracamonte   Mon  4/2/2001   2 KB

emusic.com