Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Sat Mar 31, 2001  6:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singing Louder

dolphin_aura@y... wrote:

>I need advice on how to sing louder. I am 19 and have
>a normally very small voice, however the higher i go
>the louder I get. I need to learn how to sing louder
>in lower notes. mainly a f below high c and below

I suspect that you also need to learn how to sing softer as you get
higher, so that your volume is not compulsively fixed by the pitch.
Is that right?

I would suggest that you do the lesson for the tongue that I posted
at themestream. Here's the link:

http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=380824

I think that you might find that lesson helpful. Sing throughout your
range both before and after the lesson so that you can sense the
difference. I would also suggest that you enroll in some Awareness
Through Movement classes or take some Functional Integration lessons
with a Feldenkrais practitioner. You can find one in your area at
http://www.feldenkrais.com. I'd be glad to make recommendations.

Why do I make these suggestions? Because the Feldenkrais Method can
help you to improve the fundamental skills of awareness and movement
that are the basis of ALL that we do, including singing. I notice for
myself, for my singing students, and for my students who aren't
singers that the use of the voice spontaneously improves as a result
of doing Feldenkrias lessons, whether group or private. In case you
haven't seen them already, you might read two articles that I wrote
about a voice workshop at which one of my colleagues taught
Feldnkrais lessons. Here are the links:

http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=300001
http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/browse/view_article.gsp?c_id=300060

Good luck,
John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10765 Re: Singing Louder Isabelle Bracamonte   Sat  3/31/2001   3 KB
10766 Singing Louder Dolphin aura   Sun  4/1/2001   4 KB

emusic.com