Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
"Dre de Man" <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Sat Mar 31, 2001  8:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Can Tenors sing this? (Das Lied der Trennung, KV 519)

Dear Alexandra,

I think the question should be: can non-tenors sing this. This is a song of
a man who cannot forget his lost love Luisa. (Funny issue: Mozarts first
love, the sister of his wife, was called Luisa too. Mozart wrote this song
immediately after Luisa's divorce.) I think it is a very beautiful song. But
it would require some Hosenrollen-thinking for a woman to sing this song.

The Urtext edition (Bärenreiter BA 5330) for high voice is the original
setting, which is ideal for a lyrical tenor. It is not easy though: as you
will have reading the last days, there are some issues concerning Mozart's
writing for tenor-voice. I've sung this song a year ago, and I think it is
not difficult as long as you don't want to do it too dramatic, but that
would be wrong anyway. It has 15 couplets, of which I think you should
choose at least four: the phrase : 'Vielleicht auf ewig vergißt Luisa mich,
vielleicht auf ewig, vergißt sie mich', should be repeated (which means:
singing another couplet) because of it's soothing beauty, but also because
the more often you sing it the more impact it gets.

My experience with this song (and with all Mozart music): in the beginning I
find it difficult, but after a while it is relatively easy. What happens in
between I don't know! It works a bit like vocalises are supposed to work, at
least for me.

On the general idea of Mozart songs and the gender division: there is a
Hyperion cd, which is vocally not that intersting i.m.o., but where ths song
have been divided quite ok:

JOAN RODGERS soprano
JOHN MARK AINSLEY tenor
ROGER VIGNOLES piano

Contents:
Abendempfindung K523 (JMA) [5'22]
Oiseaux, si tous les ans K307 (JR) [1'22]
Dans un bois solitaire K308 (JMA) [2'57]
An die Freude K53 (JMA) [3'34]
An die Einsamkeit K391 (JR) [3'30]
Wie unglücklich bin ich nit K147 (JMA) [0'55]
Komm, liebe Zither (JMA)K351 [1'41]
Die Zauberer K472 (JR) [1'56]
An Chloe K524 (JMA) [2'22]
Das Lied der Trennung K519 (JMA) [6'29]
Das Veilchen K476 (JR) [2'22]
Ridente la calma K152 (JR) [3'45]
An die Freundschaft K148 (JR) [2'53]
Die Zufriedenheit K473 (JMA) [2'40]
Des kleinen Friedrichs Geburtstag K529 (JMA) [2'40]
Die kleine Spinnerin K531 (JR) [1'49]
An die Hoffnung K390 (JR) [2'33]
Als Luise die Briefe K520 (JR) [1'47]
Das Traumbild K530 (JMA) [3'50]
Lied der Freiheit K506 (JMA) [1'51]
Die Alte K517 (JR) [2'59]
Das Kinderspiel K598 (JR) [1'35]
Sehnsucht nach dem Frühlinge K596 (JR) [1'47]
Im Frühlingsanfang K597 (JMA) [2'35]
Die ihr des unermesslichen Weltalls K619 (JR)

JMA is the tenor, JR the soprano.

Best greetings,

Dré