Vocalist.org archive

From:  MFoxy9795@a...
MFoxy9795@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 30, 2001  4:54 am
Subject:  Handel - was: a tenor who is grumpy with Mozart

> As for me, with a small voice, there's much less music that
> I can consider singing. But I find Verdi's "Caro nome", a
> lot of Mozart and Purcell, and some Handel all work
> beautifully in my voice. All those guys wrote great for the
> voice, and it's fortunate for me that I love the music that
> suits my voice.

i can't comment on how it feels to sing these composers as i am not a singer,
but as a hearer and accompanist i have long considered Handel to have written
especially well for the voice and to have fit the music to the words
extremely well. i really think his vocal music is his great glory. (too bad
there are so many beautiful Handel opera arias with less worthwhile texts, to
put it mildly.)

Merry Foxworth

emusic.com