Vocalist.org archive

From:  ODivaTina@a...
ODivaTina@a...
Date:  Fri Mar 30, 2001  2:59 am
Subject:  Re: "Excerptable" ANYTHING for mezzos WAS: "Excerptable" Puccini for mezzos

In a message dated 3/29/2001 4:26:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dalila@R... writes:
dalila@R... writes:

> I frankly think he had a mezzo-phobia, that he shared
> with Mozart and Leoncavallo.

I spoke with a young composer about 6 months ago about the general dearth of
mezzo rep, and he told me that composers find writing for sopranos much
easier, because the high voice can soar over the orchestration more easily,
so they don't have to worry about singer audibility and can write and
orchestrate away, as they please.
TinaO

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10750 Re: "Excerptable" ANYTHING for mezzos WAS: "Excer Karen Mercedes   Fri  3/30/2001   3 KB

emusic.com