Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Wed Mar 28, 2001  8:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] South Pacific

>From: thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
>
>I, too, had my doubts about Glenn Close, but I thought she managed to
>credibly portray Nellis Forbush, adapting the requirements of the role
>around her own personality...and it worked. It was rather like seeing Te
>Kanawa in Verdi: she's really a Mozart/Strauss temperament, but still a
>credible singer in Otello and Boccanegra.

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a terrific History Channel documentary on women
who served in the US armed forces during World War II, titled "Free a Man to
Fight." Close's Nellie Forbush (and indeed, the other nurses in the cast)
looked as if she would have aged into one of the terrific old ladies
interviewed for the program!

Liz

Elizabeth Finkler
Sunnyvale, California
mightymezzo@h...
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

"If you must be wrong, be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van Pelt

10717 Re: South Pacific Lloyd W. Hanson   Thu  3/29/2001   3 KB

emusic.com