Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Wed Mar 28, 2001  1:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] South Pacific

I'm not sure I agree with you here, Lynda. While everything in
entertainment is subject to personal preference, I think what I objected
to most in the de Becque was not that he wasn't an opera singer in a role
written for one, but that he was not a singer at all! And what bothers me
most is that our culture often mistakes carrying a tune for singing!

Mark Montgomery

On Wed, 28 Mar 2001 LYNDA313@a... wrote:

> I, too, wanted to hear more dramatic, full-bodied singing on "Some Enchanted
> Evening" and "This Nearly Was Mine", but all in all, I was pleased and
> entertained with the program. I kept my remote control handy in the event of
> a sudden urge to channel-surf, but I never picked it up.
>
> To each his or her own, I say. This is a great example of personal
> preference being the vehicle by which someone is spoken to by a performance
> or not.

emusic.com