Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Wed Mar 28, 2001  12:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] South Pacific

In a message dated 3/28/01 6:11:52 AM, thomas8@t... writes:

<<
I, too, had my doubts about Glenn Close, but I thought she managed to
credibly portray Nellis Forbush, adapting the requirements of the role
around her own personality...and it worked. >>

I thought so, too. In addition, she had some marvelous "Mary Martin"
moments...a bit deeper a portrayal that many I've seen.

<< Too bad you didn't see Ms. Close. I thought her approach to
this was very credible. Too bad there was NO chemistry between her Nellie
and de Becque... >>

I felt very strongly that her portrayal of her inner conflict about
racism...realizing what she felt she could not deny about it...was moving and
real. No, I didn't feel a great deal of spark between the two of them...but
I don't have the major negative impression of this performance that many seem
to hold.

I, too, wanted to hear more dramatic, full-bodied singing on "Some Enchanted
Evening" and "This Nearly Was Mine", but all in all, I was pleased and
entertained with the program. I kept my remote control handy in the event of
a sudden urge to channel-surf, but I never picked it up.

To each his or her own, I say. This is a great example of personal
preference being the vehicle by which someone is spoken to by a performance
or not.

Sincerely,
Lynda Lacy

Lynda Lacy, Director of Choral Activities
Jackson Preparatory School
Jackson, Mississippi
"Allow your voice to serve the music, not the other way around." - B. R.
Henson

<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lynda313/myhomepage/profile.html">Lynda and
the Fine Arts</A>

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10691 Re: South Pacific thomas mark montgomery   Wed  3/28/2001   2 KB

emusic.com