Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Tue Mar 27, 2001  9:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] The no man's land of mezzo-soprano (was Mozart for contraltos)

I've always thought it interesting that one of the non-soprano female
solos in Bach's MAGNIFICAT in D is for "Soprano II" (Et exultavit) and the
other is for "Alto" (Esurientes). IN Bach terms, the "Soprano II" is
usually the one who sings the lower soprano line in a soprano duet, or the
middle line in a trio like "Suscepit Israel" form the same work. I think,
perhaps, in oratorio terms you are a Soprano II and not an Alto, and
should be trying to find the (few) solos for Soprano II in that
repertoire.

That said, most of the performances of Bach's MAGNIFICAT I've attended
have had the same soloist sing both "Et Exultavit" and "Esurientes", and I
do both of these arias myself, because I can't distinguish a signficant
difference in tessitura between them.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website: