Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Mar 27, 2001  4:35 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] South Pacific

In a message dated 3/27/01 8:57:10 AM Central Standard Time, thomas8@t...
writes:

> Yes, I am insane. And those 'worst ever' recordings to which you refer
> have been a gold mine for Deutsche Grammophon. In addition, I have given
> them to non-opera listeners over the years, only to have them search out
> his other recordings. And, besides, Ezio Pinza, the originator of de
> Becque, was an opera singer. So, I'm not sure where you are coming from
> exactly.
>
> Mark Montgomery

Pinza may have been an opera singer but the way he sang the role was a lot
different than the way I've heard Turfel sing broadway literature. He may
have sold a lot of recordings, but in a sense.... so what. To my ear, he
shows little understanding of the style. However, as I said before, he is a
great opera singer, he just doesn't translate well into musical theater.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com