Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Mar 27, 2001  4:01 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Mozart in falsetto/ how styles change (was: grumpy mozartians)

In a message dated 3/27/2001 9:33:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, sopran@a...
writes:

<< They may not have produced the same extraordinary volume or long breath,
but
without the castrati's unnaturally enlarged chest cavity, neither could the
ungelded males of the day. >>

i fail to see what an enlarged chest cavity would contribute to either
power or long breath. long breath is due far more to good breath management
than to size of lungs. and in regard to resonance, 'chest' resonance is
just a mirage. that said, the singer with the loudest voice i have ever
heard was richard cassilly, a former teacher of mine and a fine gentleman.
my wife is only 5'2" and being a jokster, mr. cassilly used to call her some
german slang term for 'little dwarf'. when i told her what the nickname
meant, she said "when he dies, i can make a house out of his ribcage!", much
to his amusement. one of the other earthquake causing voices is my sister
who does not have a large ribcage. there are plenty of tall, lanky basses
who have had no problem in the power department or the long breath
department, that have had near 'serpentine' ribcages. i wonder how much of
what has been written about castrati is folklore.

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10667 Castrati Rib Cages WAS:Mozart in falsetto/ how st Tako Oda   Tue  3/27/2001   2 KB

emusic.com