Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Ernie Valenzuela <erniev@2...>
Date:  Tue Mar 27, 2001  2:33 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] South Pacific

Excellent observation, Mark!! I was racking the brain pan
trying to find a name (& particularly voice that would
satisfy the role of Emile). Van Dam - stupendous! Now
the names flow: Alain Fondary, Jean Phillipe LaFont or
even an Italian such as Ruggiero Raimondi would
satisfy my casting. Throw a Spaniard in there as well
(except for Antonio Banderas...too young, too light a voice).

Bryn would read too young next to Glenn - that's my only
reservation regarding Terfel as de Becque. Not that Ms. Close
wasn't plausible - she made things work no doubt, but my
de Becque has to have that certain sound & burnished color.

At first - I thought I was listening to Julio Iglesias singing
"Some Enchanted Evening"! That doesn't work.