Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Mar 26, 2001  10:41 pm
Subject:  Re: Mozart in falsetto/ how styles change (was: grumpy mozartians)

Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...> wrote:
> How much does "what the composer intends" really
> matter?

Thankfully, more recent composers seem to be scaling back their
expectations, at least for volume. Not that I can't appreciate a nice
big voice (I do), but how boring if that's all there is.

I do some recording, and I've noticed a tendency with modern recording
engineers to compress the acoustic signal so there is a much smaller
loudness range, crowding the spectrum very much at the top of the
threshold of hearing. These recordings (like airbrushed models) create
an unattainable standard of volume, upping the ante in an upward
spiral.

Tako

emusic.com