Vocalist.org archive

From:  "SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
"SMSchneider" <smschneider@e...>
Date:  Mon Mar 26, 2001  6:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Some advice for young composers

Jeffrey Snider wrote:

> I'm sure the group has other suggestions. All of these are based on
> real experiences I've had!

Thanks, Jeffrey for posting your suggestions to composers. These have been
pet peeves of mine for years. Here are other suggestions from the new music
diva:

PLEASE write the music legibly. Learn to use a computer notation program,
if necessary, but don't expect me to read hen-scratching or crossed out
manuscript with cuts, additions, page flips all over, or just plain bad
calligraphy. I have reached the point where I will hand music back to a
composer if it's difficult to make out. Give us a little respect, please.

Do not write in the range you can sing. Write where the singer can sing.

If you use unconventional notation, put an explanation legend somewhere on
the first page.

Use singing notation; i.e., understand that slurs are used if a syllable is
spread over more than one note, etc. Notate that in the text as well.

Please proofread scores and parts. Great gobs of rehearsal/practive time is
wasted in discovering/correcting mistakes in vocal, piano or orchestra
parts.

Mark clearly which singer sings which line.

I'll think of more, but the most important one is what Jeffrey wrote, and it
boils down to **Please learn as much as you can about the instrument for
which you are writing!**

Susan Schneider

emusic.com