Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Mar 26, 2001  2:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Modern composers who do and who don't understand the voice was Tenor ... grumpy

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, thomas mark montgomery wrote:

> Of course, you are talking about late Berg. His Sieben fruhe lieder are
> _very_ vocal. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I happened to catch
> "Judgement at Nuremberg" on television and I thought "What a great opera
> the courtroom scenes would make, especially in the musical language of
> early Alban Berg!" Jon Vickers in the Spencer Tracy role, Rene Pape in
> the Burt Lancaster role, Fritz Wunderlich in the Maximillian Schell role,
> Sherrill Milnes in the Richard Widmark role, Ian Bostridge in the Montgomery
> Clift role, and Anne Sofie von Otter in the Judy Garland role. Waddya think?

I can agree with most of your casting, except for Wunderlich in the Schell
role. I definitely see the young Schell as lyric baritone, NOT a tenor.
Perhaps Hvorostovsky in that role?

I also think von Otter is far too cool and restrained for the Garland
role. I vote for Suzanne Mentzer in that part.

Karen Mercedes

=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html