Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Brenda Christophersen & Stephen Lummus" <lumsen@1...>
"Brenda Christophersen & Stephen Lummus" <lumsen@1...>
Date:  Sun Mar 25, 2001  9:06 pm
Subject:  Re: Modern Composers who DO understand the voice, IMHO

Hello Everyone!

Just adding my personal opinion and experience with 20th century operatic
composers...albiet my LIMITED experience. I find Menotti, Barber, Bernstein,
Britten, Moore, Floyd, Janacek, Poulenc, of course: late Puccini, R.
Strauss, Orff, Prokofiev, Berg, and Copland quite sinable. I would like to
hear from those of you who have done other 20th Century works ie: Giannini,
Sessions, Dallapiccola, Stravinsky, Berio, Hindemith, Schoenberg, Ravel,
Thomson...and so many others that I have yet to sing!

I adore Barber, Menotti and Floyd...and find Bernstein great fun! So much
wonderful music! And as for Mozart not knowing voices, I do not know that I
agree with that. I know that he wrote for specific voices...otherwise he was
rather imaginitive! I do believe that since he did write so specifically,
and these folks were able to sing his line...well then, it goes without
saying that there would be more singers throughout the centuries that could
surely do the same. I am sounding simple this Sunday....but, I feel pretty
positive about how I feel. I have sung a lot of Mozart, including the Queen
herself...I find Mozart brilliantly difficult at times...great for a
technique builder to be certain!

Have a great day!
Brenda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10584 Re: Modern Composers who DO understand the voice, Colin Reed   Sun  3/25/2001   5 KB

emusic.com