Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@o...>
"Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@o...>
Date:  Sun Mar 25, 2001  1:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] grumpy tenor not grumpy anymore.

I agree. I love domingo's singing. I also love Fritz and Jussi. Fritz
does Mozart so effortlessly, yet listen to his italian pronounciation on
'Ombra mai fu', and hear how dodgy it is. Despite all of his gleaming vocal
talent, his interpretation is not quite up there. (Having said that,
anything he sang in german was second to none). But in his italian singing,
his germanic vowels stick out like a sore thumb. So what is more important,
glorious technique, ala Wunderlich, or glorious interpretation, ala Domingo
(singing something other than mozart)?? Both, I would say.

Mirko

> This is in no way a bashing of one of the greatest singers of our times,
> but Domingo is a great artist IN SPITE of his technical problems. If you
> want to listen to tenors with great technique, try Jussi Bjorling or Fritz
> Wunderlich.
>
> Mark Montgomery

emusic.com