Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sat Mar 24, 2001  10:15 pm
Subject:  Nabucco

Ernie, I'm laughing with you. What a screamer! Always interesting to
hear early works of composers. Samuel Ramey and Juan Pons, the old men,
shore put a whoopin' on them thar youngsters, didn't they? Guleghina screamed
her way through the role of Abagaille (I would attribute this to Verdi's
extreme vocal writing, but Guleghina screams through everything), the young
mezzo Tarasova whose middle voice sounded like that of an old woman, and tenor
Francisco Casanova sounds straight out of a master's program - good voice, but
NOT READY! Another talented singer with "Too much, too soon" syndrome. I
keep thinking the government will establish a cabinet position to preserve
our operatic resources, but alas!

Mark Montgomery

emusic.com