Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Sat Mar 24, 2001  4:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Modern composers who do and who don't understand the voice was Tenor ... grumpy

Of course, you are talking about late Berg. His Sieben fruhe lieder are
_very_ vocal. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I happened to catch
"Judgement at Nuremberg" on television and I thought "What a great opera
the courtroom scenes would make, especially in the musical language of
early Alban Berg!" Jon Vickers in the Spencer Tracy role, Rene Pape in
the Burt Lancaster role, Fritz Wunderlich in the Maximillian Schell role,
Sherrill Milnes in the Richard Widmark role, Ian Bostridge in the Montgomery
Clift role, and Anne Sofie von Otter in the Judy Garland role. Waddya think?

Mark Montgomery

On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Karen Mercedes wrote:

> And then there are the modern composers who are totally voice-hostile.
> Like Michael Tippett and Alban Berg. What the hell were they thinking?

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10541 Re: Modern composers who do and who don't underst thomas mark montgomery   Sat  3/24/2001   2 KB
10556 Lux Aeterna Shanna Hollich   Sat  3/24/2001   3 KB
10564 Re: Lux Aeterna Shannon   Sat  3/24/2001   2 KB
10566 Re: Lux Aeterna thomas mark montgomery   Sat  3/24/2001   2 KB
10570 Re: Modern composers who do and who don't underst Lee Morgan   Sat  3/24/2001   4 KB
10594 Re: Modern composers who do and who don't underst Karen Mercedes   Mon  3/26/2001   3 KB

emusic.com