Vocalist.org archive

From:  "stjames" <stjames@l...>
"stjames" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Thu Mar 22, 2001  10:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice

> May I add, though, that countertenors shouldn't *need* to sound like
> castrati to be acceptable Handelian singers? If today's CTs use a
> more 'womanly' technique than the castrati did, they're obviously not
> a perfect fit, but since Handel used women for some primo uomo roles,
> one can only assume that a solid CT would have been at least as
> acceptable as a decent mezzo...
>
> Thanks for all the interesting ideas! I feel like I've learned a lot!
>
> Tako Oda

I agree. Along the same lines we play Bach on the piano today and it only
gives the die hard musicologists pause. Mozart's piano was very different
from the modern day piano. Elsewhere in music performance practice it seems
OK to use the modern day equal. To me the argument that CT's and castrati do
not sound similar is really a moot point; we will never know what the
castrati really sounded like. Who has the notes and range to sing castrati
roles ? CT's do. Who wants to ? CT's do.

James

emusic.com