Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
"Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Mar 20, 2001  6:35 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: amplifying the classically-trained voice

Dear Yvonne and Vocalisters:

Miking may not be the enemy but miking of any kind, even the quality
use of amplification which you describe, has an effect on the singing
done in that environment. There is no question that most venues
built today give little or no consideration to the performance of
voices with orchestra. In fact, contrary to what acoustic engineers
would have you believe, there is often little concern given to
acoustic preparation of any specific kind; only a general reverb rate
is considered and the correction of possible dead spots in the
audience portion of the hall. Few new halls survive without some
kind of major acoustic adjustment after-the-fact and, presently, that
adjustment is most often done with various forms of amplification.
Such amplification is used not only for singers but for
instrumentalists and speakers as well.

Selective amplification to correct acoustic deficiencies, while a
quality use of the art of electronics, is no more a relation to a
true acoustic atmosphere than a recording of any kind is to a live
performance.

Voices need to be trained, as you indicate you do, in the various
uses of amplification, but that very fact we need to provide such
training as teachers is just a further verification of my statement
that we are entering an age in which the acoustic use of the voice is
being assaulted on many side and will very likely disappear as we
know it or as it has been known.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10451 Re: amplifying the classically-trained voice David Dong Qyu Lee   Tue  3/20/2001   2 KB

emusic.com