Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  8:44 pm
Subject:  Re: is there a market for Mozart/Donizetti tenors?

Isabelle wrote:

> In fact, if you have fair agility and can develop a
> good ability to sing clear coloratura (try taking Il
> mio tesoro at double-speed, for example, and keep the
> coloratura clean), you will be that most rare and
> prized thing, a Rossini tenor. Rossini is done a LOT
> and very few men can move the voice in the requisite
> way and sustain the high tessitura. You will be MUCH
> in demand.

Good point. A really good Rossini tenor is rare.

I think the test for a Rossini singer, though, ought to be whether s/he can
sing Rossini runs. I don't mean to be flip, Isabelle: what I'm really
saying is that Rossini coloratura is different from Mozart coloratura.
Some of our more musicologically-minded or technically-minded colleagues
might be able to work out why; I've never really thought much about it.
All I know is that even a good Mozart coloratura-singer (of any voice type)
isn't necessarily going to kick out the Rossini cleanly!

NGL

Please note: I've got a new e-mail address. From now on, please zap me at
omigurt@m... Thanks!
omigurt@m... Thanks!

emusic.com