Vocalist.org archive

From:  velluti@c...
velluti@c...
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  9:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Choir Altos Solo Altos WAS: Contraltos or Altos?

Sorry: Moreschi never made any 78's; his career predated their issue; he
recorded (1902/4) on
the G & T single-sided shellac discs, with variable speeds. E.J. Smith made a
pirated copy of
some of these on an LP. We did them at Pavilion (Opal); Moreschi was in his
early forties
when he made these recordings. We had 17 in total; some of them as a soloist
with the
Sistine Chapel Choir; most of the others with piano/violin accompaniment.
I, too, in my own book, found the use of Rushmore's term: "hearsay" voices
relevant.
I can send you a copy of "my" CD of the "The Last Castrato"; I wrote the
greater part of the
booklet.
Elsa
http://www.cix.co.uk/~velluti