Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@m...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  7:14 pm
Subject:  re: freeing hte lower back

Ingo wrote:

>Can anyone suggest a stretching exercise, visualisation technique, etc.
>which might help me? I'm finding that my lower back is pretty
>important to producing my voice and I'd love to find a key to unlock my
>back.

Do you tape your lessons? You might try it, then working with the tape in
your practice sessions, especially during those important first 5 minutes
when your teacher lines you up so well.

Do you do work with body awareness techniques? (Alexander, Feldenkrais,
yoga, etc.) These pursuits might give you more tools with which to work.

You might also try beginning your practice session lying on your back with
your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. I find this to be a good
position for releasing whatever spinal tension I might be holding. (Bring
your pitch pipe down to the floor and start your vocalizing in this
position.)

And of course it's a good idea to stretch before beginning a practice
session -- including an awareness of breath in the stretching. The most
relevant stretch for you will likely be one in which, seated, you bend from
the hips to touch your toes (or the closest body part you can reach!) and
stay there, using long, deep breathing to gently soften the muscles around
your spine.

Good luck!

Naomi
P.S. How's London treating you?

Please note: I've got a new e-mail address. From now on, please zap me at
omigurt@m... Thanks!
omigurt@m... Thanks!

emusic.com