Vocalist.org archive

From:  sjdr9523@y...
sjdr9523@y...
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  6:46 pm
Subject:  [vocalist] Re: is there a market for Mozart/Donizetti tenors?

John,

Are you including those making a living in some way other than as the
paradigmatic 'freelance operatic soloist', such as in musical theatre,
choirs, etc.? Are they entirely supporting themselves from singing, or
do they still live at home, have a spouse support them, etc... Are you
basing your 3-5% on those who enter the bachelor of voice program, or
are you adding grad students and 'late bloomers,' or not deducting
those who don't finish the program.

If the estimate stands, then your school is doing far better than mine,
although it's one of the top music schools in the states. (Still, I
don't know of too many other career areas that would "boast" of a 3-5%
placement rate.)

-John (keepin' it real)

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., John Alexander Blyth <vocalist-temporary@y..., John Alexander Blyth < While none of them are big stars (yet?) a number of young singers of my
acquaintance do have careers (in singing, I should add!). Even so I
would put the percentage (rough estimate) a 3-5%. I remember doing an
informal survey of the people (all instruments) who got their B. Mus.
here at the same time I did. I think about 15% of them were fully
employed in some kind
> of musical activity apart from teaching. When I included teaching it was a
> much higher figure - more like 80% of the whole group.
> But having said that: there are easier ways to make more money. You must
> have either an aptitude or a need.
> It occurs to me a lot recently that a singer is not necessarily a person
> with a beautiful voice (there are many of those around) but a person with a
> particular kind of determination, a capacity for peculiar discipline and
> (for lack of a gentler epithet) a willingness to make a fool of herself in
> public. The voice is just an optional bonus - many more people have
> beautiful voices, a great ear and a pleasing countenance than have what it
> takes to be
> a singer.
> That's what I think.
> john

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10447 Singing graduates making a living, was: is there John Alexander Blyth   Tue  3/20/2001   6 KB
15655 Aspects of love Jennifer   Mon  12/3/2001   3 KB
15657 Re: Aspects of love Deal Diva Laura   Mon  12/3/2001   3 KB
15681 Re: Aspects of love Karen Mercedes   Mon  12/3/2001   10 KB
15699 Re: Aspects of love arado_ge@y...   Tue  12/4/2001   2 KB
15714 Re: Aspects of love Nande   Tue  12/4/2001   3 KB
15723 Re: Aspects of love Karen Mercedes   Tue  12/4/2001   3 KB
15727 Re: Aspects of love Nande   Tue  12/4/2001   3 KB
15689 Re: Aspects of love Deal Diva Laura   Tue  12/4/2001   5 KB

emusic.com