Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  6:44 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: is there a market for Mozart/Donizetti tenors?

One tenor who started out in the Mozart/Donizetti _fach_ and who is now
moving into heavier full lyric rep and has already established an
international career for himself is Ramon Vargas. I heard him two nights
ago as Don Carlo, and while the voice was discernably smaller than what
I'm used to hearing in the role, Sir Edward Downes (the conductor) kept
the orchestra (including the omnipresent horns) under sufficient restraint
that there were only two or three moments in which I felt Vargas' voice
was really not appropriate "size-wise". Being the fine singer he is,
however, he never oversang to force it "bigger". Instead, we just got a
smaller voiced reading of the role than many of us are used to.

Another Mozart/Donizetti tenor to keep an eye on at the moment is Dwayne
Croft's brother, Richard, arguably an even more talented, adept singer
than his better-known brother. Croft has sung numerous times at the Met -
and his is the voice of a true tenorino, IMO.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html