Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  6:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Contraltos or Altos?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 gsanders@b... wrote:

> on 17/3/01 8:15 AM, Tako Oda at toda@m... wrote:
>
> Operatic
> countertenors have exactly as much right to use their fachname as
> tenors do theirs.
>
> Can we please get this correct. Fach is a subdivision of a voice not the
> voice type.

Actually, I thought _fach_ was a subdivision of the REPERTOIRE, not of the
voice. It's a fact of life that any given voice is usually most suited to
one fach, or to 2-3 directly contiguous fachs. But voices don't fall into
_fachs_, repertoire does. Or do I have this arse-backward?

By the way, I understand your real point, which is that the _fach_ system
is dealing with more detailed gradations of vocal ability than the high
level vocal classification system of SSAATTBB (in choral music) or
SMsCaCtTBrBbBs in opera (see if you can figure that one out).

By the way, is a Bass-Baritone REALLY any different than a Basso-Cantante?

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html