Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  5:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Choir Altos Solo Altos WAS: Contraltos or Altos?

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, Tako Oda wrote:

> there are CTs working today (Bejun Mehta, James Bowman, and a few
> members of la gran scena) who have vocal size comparable if not
> larger than some of the smaller-voiced castrati of years past.

And you are sure based on what empirical evidence? The very few 78RPM
recordings of Moreschi at the end of his career, recorded using acoustical
equipment that produces recordings that are of limited, questionable value
in helping us determine vocal *size* (vs. colour)? Documented direct
comparisons (if any exist) between castrato and countertenor voices?

I've always liked Robert Rushmore's term "hearsay voices" - because as far
as I'm concerned (and the few Moreschi 78s made very late in his career
nothwithstanding), no-one will ever know what the castrati sounded like.
Any speculation, no matter how allegedly scientific the basis for that
speculation, is just that: speculation.

KM
=====
My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html

-----
We're sitting in the opera house;
We're waiting for the curtain to arise
With wonders for our eyes,
A feeling of expectancy,
A certain kind of ecstasy,
Expectancy and ecstasy....Sh's's's.

- Charles Ives

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10428 Re: Choir Altos Solo Altos WAS: Contraltos or Alt velluti@c...   Mon  3/19/2001   2 KB
10450 Comparative size of castrati and countertenor voi Tako Oda   Tue  3/20/2001   5 KB
10452 Re: Comparative size of castrati and countertenor velluti@c...   Tue  3/20/2001   4 KB
10458 Why were castrati LOUD(ffffffffffffffffff)? taylor23f@h...   Wed  3/21/2001   4 KB
10462 Re: Why were castrati LOUD(ffffffffffffffffff)? Tako Oda   Wed  3/21/2001   4 KB
10463 Re: Why were castrati LOUD(ffffffffffffffffff)? velluti@c...   Wed  3/21/2001   3 KB
10487 Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice taylor23f@h...   Thu  3/22/2001   4 KB
10488 Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice velluti@c...   Thu  3/22/2001   3 KB
10494 Re: CTs vs. castrati and chest-voice Tako Oda   Thu  3/22/2001   4 KB

emusic.com