Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  2:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] miking/enhancing in opera?

LYNDA313@a... wrote:

> Does anyone have that old posting about miking only at certain hertz levels
> in order to make diction sound clearer and not just amplifying volume?
> Singers who used that system did not back off. at all.

Thank you for noticing Lynda. That was mine.

> Isabelle...some of the young singers I have heard in conservatory settings
> who sing opera roles there have that "ring" in their voices on most pitches,
> but not all voices are totally even at tender ages of 20 and 21...or 30 or
> 31! ... thus not all have ring all the way through on all vowels. They are
> still learning and the voice is still developing. Yes...the voice will
> grow...I have listened to my own daughter's voice become clearer and bigger
> and higher throughout the years of her undergraduate studies. I have no
> doubts that she still has further to go. She will sing her opera role this
> spring without amplification, but she is fortunate to have a hall in which
> this can be done easily. In the case of her school, the singers who usually
> get the roles are grad students...wonder why? It is because their voices are
> better developed by that time...thus easier and clearer to be heard over
> orchestras. Just my own observations.

We have a fine graduate program and we use them for major singing
whenever possible, but I have been in programs where undergraduates were
completely left out of significant experiences and training. This is a
way to give them the most complete training possible while not
over-driving their vocal development. We want life-time singers - not
singer's whose voices are trashed before they are 35.
--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

emusic.com