Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Ingo Duckerschein <ingo_d@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  9:03 am
Subject:  Re: Countertenor-Yodeling

Axwell@a... wrote:

>>Just what is yodeling? Isn't it going from a legitimate voice into
>>a falsetto and alternating rapidly? Didn't James McCracken do that
>>on a high, soft note when playing Le Profete. That is, not
>>alternating rapidly, but incorporating a falsetto high note into his
>>legitimate singing occasionally? Wasn't he criticized for this?

I'm assuming that in the above example you are not referring to the
folk music yodeling style common to Alps. Growing up in southern
Germany I was exposed rather frequently to this style of music, much to
my chagrin, and I don't recall the sound being anywhere near the
typical falsetto voice. (Of course, my memory could be quite faulty.)

Ingo