Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dale Gillespie" <bigtenordale@a...>
"Dale Gillespie" <bigtenordale@a...>
Date:  Mon Mar 19, 2001  2:58 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: ulcerative colitis and singing

singers' overuse of their abdominal muscles,
>as a cause of colitis...

I have never heard of this in my life. I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis
when I was 18 years old, (approximately 18 years before I started taking voice
lessons and learning how to sing and using my abdominals (such as they exist in
a man who weighs currently more than 300 lbs. (but is losing weight) and does
not exorcise).

When I was first diagnosed back in the 70s I was told that Doctors really
didn't know why one gets Colitis. If it is hereditary, or what. But no Doctor
ever said that it was because of singing. The usuall age for first getting
Colitis is 18 years of age ( at least that is what I was told in the 70's)

I don't think singing could have anything to do with it as I was not a singer
when I got it.
---
Dale Gillespie - Tenor
bigtenordale@a...
bigtenordale@a...
Phone: 604-945-6273
Cell: 604-818-8427
Coquitlam, BC
Canada

Who needs Cupid? Matchmaker.com is the place to meet somebody.
FREE Two-week Trial Membership at http://www.matchmaker.com/home?rs=200015

emusic.com