Vocalist.org archive

From:  Lisa-Marie Olson <lisa_molson@y...>
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  3:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Low Voices Belting? (was "Men...")

I just wanted to second the notion that "belting" or
popular style singing for me is something more
horizontal or lateral. It is a lot more nasal and the
vowels have a lot more diphthong. I have done some
pop/folk singing and some broadway style singing. I
find both of these things SO much easier than
classical/opera style, and I feel I can me more
expressive. BUT, what I really love is classical and
opera, it is what I trained in, and I desparately want
to do it well. I feel much more of a sense of
openness and of vertical space (when I do it
correctly) and relaxation. But the pop singing I do
is never difficult or painful, just a little more
"squeezed out". Does this make any sense? I also
find that if I really get into the text of a song,
that it is even easier to "belt" it out. (Come to
think of it, it is easier in classical singing as
well!)
\
Just my thoughts!

Lisa-Marie