Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 18, 2001  11:29 pm
Subject:  properties of the counter 'hyphen' tenor

In a message dated 3/18/2001 3:12:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, toda@m...
writes:

<<
> i would also like to know, if, in the middle of your range, if
> you can go from your 'regular' voice to what you call 'head' and
> i call 'tomato', i mean 'falsetto' on one pitch without any
> noticeable glitch (noticeable to you, that is) and if so, at how
> high a volume level.

I can, but the higher and louder I do it (i.e. more tenoriffically),
the more I limit my top. I think most women will report the same
experience, which is why most singers who use their upper voice a lot
will switch before F4. Those that specialize in switching higher have
more of a core, but they limit their options at the top (i.e. Whitney
Houston and hautes contre.) >>

tako,

i wonder if there are really two different kinds of counter-tenors.
one would be the baritone or tenor who, instead of singing the high range in
what is essentially a mix, sing in 'falsetto' (as i call it) and the other
would be the very high voiced tenor who sings the high range in a mix yet, it
sounds very similar to what the former catagory of ct does. it seems to me
that the former would have a bit of trouble going from model voice to
'falsetto' at louder volumes and higher pitches whereas, the latter type
would have no problem going from model to what is really a mix.
i guess this would be the distinction between cts like minter and daniels and
haute contres like russell oberlin. yes, no, maybe?

mike, bass @#$%^& baritone

emusic.com