Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 18, 2001  7:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor blather WAS:s...

In a message dated 3/18/2001 1:14:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, toda@m...
writes:

<<
Finally, there's the "blather" message itself. The Drew Minter quote
was that countertenors were probably nothing like castrati, which is
a statement that would seem in direct contradiction to my recent
theorizing that some CT who kept their childhood head voice might be
using the same mechanism castrati did, at least in the upper range.

tako,

it does seem logical that counter-tenors would be very different from
castrati unless, the operation also allowed them to move more freely onstage.
if cts were very similar, there would be no need for such a practice.

<<Maybe he meant nothing by it, but it felt mean-spirited.>>

i think you really have to seperate style from intent here. i suspect
mark enjoys a bit of sarcastic repartee and, although he might have meant it
impatiently, i strongly doubt that someone quoting minter harbors any real
detestment for cts.

<<Again, I could be just crazy>> (not 'could be'. you are crazy!) <<and
hyper-sensitive.>>

i am guessing gaining acceptance as a counter-tenor would make anyone a bit
hypersensitive.

<<If so, I'd be glad 1) to know it and 2) to apologize profusely for wasting
everyone's
time with my emotional blather :-)>>

i'm sure you'll do the right thing.

<<Tako Oda, counter*tenor (how do you like the asterisk, mike?)>>

that asterisk is just one more proof of the self-absorbed megalomania
typical of you cts.

gayly and sprightly,
mike

emusic.com