Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Sat Apr 22, 2000  3:09 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Low Voices Belting? (was "Men...")

Leslie Jones wrote:

> I've often wondered if there isn't some correlation with female
> voices, or at least for mine. Sopranos I've know are more likely to be able
> to produce a belt sound, but it seems to be much more difficult for most low
> mezzos or contraltos, like myself. I gave up the notion long ago that belt
> was *entirely* a matter of carrying chest voice up, but that seems to be
> part of the equation (thus tenors being able to belt, since the transition
> from chest to head happens higher for them). I have over an octave of "pure
> chest" voice, but it's primarily middle C and below. While I can produce a
> "mixed" sound above that, it's a very "classical" sound. Any thoughts?
>
> Leslie J.

You are right. Belt is absolutely not Chest pushed up. In the female voice it
is more or less an agressive version of the male head voice (not falsetto).
Lower female voices can do it well, it just takes a little more practice to find
the balance. Hint: Don't do it loudly, think of a quiet yell.
--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University

emusic.com