Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
"Jeffrey Snider" <snide76258@a...>
Date:  Sat Mar 17, 2001  6:54 pm
Subject:  Re: Contraltos or Altos?

I'm sorry if this has been covered, but I've done a little research
on this.

The original voice type is "Tenor", the part that "held" the
plainchant line in a motet. (The term is related to the
words "tenacious" and "untenable." hmm...)

The parts above and below the tenor were

contratenor altus (literally "against the tenor-high")

contratenor bassus (literally "against the tenor-low")

When a fourth part was added, it was called "superius" or "supreme."
The Italian translation is "soprano."

Of course, "Contratenor Altus" was shortened to "Contralto" or
just "Alto" and Contratenor Bassus to "Contrabass" or just "Bass."

Now you know. Of course, in practical terms, "Alto" defines a choral
part, while "Contralto" defines a solo part, but the history of these
terms is as I have stated above. But I just cringe when I hear
someone say, "I'm not just an alto, I'm a contralto." As if they
meant different things.

BTW, if anyone doubts my authority on this, check out the relavant
definitions in the New Grove, Harvard, etc.

-JS

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10414 Re: Contraltos or Alto Karen Mercedes   Mon  3/19/2001   3 KB

emusic.com