Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Fri Mar 16, 2001  1:28 pm
Subject:  For those who've not had enough countertenor blather

Here are some interesting comments made by Drew Minter regarding Handel,
countertenors and castrati in a New York Times review of NYCO's Acis and
Galatea:

For all the contemporary advances in scholarship and performance
practice, the Handel singing one hears today is probably a far cry from
what audiences experienced in 1730.

For one thing, it's hard to find an equivalent to the castrato voice.
"Physiologically," Mr. Minter said, "in terms of the size of the chest
cavity, and the pressure on the vocal cords, the closest thing we have to
a castrato today is a dramatic tenor. A countertenor is probably the
furthest thing away."

For those interested in the full article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/16/arts/16HAND.html

Mark Montgomery

P.S. I heard baritone Nathan Gunn in recital last night (Brahms, Wolf
and American Songs), and if he comes to your town, GO! Mighty fine
singing was heard by all.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10307 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor gsanders@b...   Fri  3/16/2001   3 KB
10310 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Karen Mercedes   Fri  3/16/2001   2 KB
10319 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Tako Oda   Sat  3/17/2001   3 KB
10366 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Tako Oda   Sun  3/18/2001   3 KB
10367 Re: For those who've not had enough countertenor Reg Boyle   Sun  3/18/2001   2 KB

emusic.com