Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Fri Mar 16, 2001  5:14 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] David Daniels speaks on the CT voice/Was it falsetto?

All of this talk about counter-tenors & "Messiah" solos reminds me of an
incident with a counter-tenor & the community chorus that I sing with.
The chorus started in the 50's as a "Messiah" chorus so about every 5
years we do the piece. In '94 or '95 we performed with a counter-tenor
singing the alto solos. He was exceptional but a number of people in the
audience must not have ever heard a counter-tenor in a live performance.
Imagine the chagrin of the conductor & the chorus members when he opens
his mouth to sing "But who may Abide" & several members in the audience
start to giggle. We were all ready to crawl under the nearest rock out of
embarassment because of our uneducated audience.

Pat

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:25:05 -0600 "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:25:05 -0600 "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
(snip) I have often wanted to sing the