Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Fri Mar 16, 2001  1:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Gay? Re: What's a countertenor?

from Linda.
>In renaissance music the tenor ("holder") was the voice which was
>singing the cantus firmus, the plainsong melody, often in long notes; it
>didn't designate any particular range. The expression "contra-tenor"
>dates from the same period,

Thank you Linda, you have just supported my arguement.
No examples of the period of which you speak are in existance
(I assume), so of course it is quite safe to choose the term to
describe anything you like because there is no possible way
of proving or disproving it. This is an old trick!

Do you hold any reference that purports to prove that current
day CTs are identical to those voices used for the purpose
you describe in the renaissance period? Reg.

"One must have loved a woman of genius
to comprehend the happiness of loving a fool."

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10308 Re: Gay? Re: What's a countertenor? Edna Huelsenbeck   Fri  3/16/2001   3 KB

emusic.com