Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@o...>
"Mirko Ruckels" <mirkoruckels@o...>
Date:  Thu Mar 15, 2001  12:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 587

>Colin, I am tenor also and long before I discovered that Bjorling said he
>had no falsetto I was convinced that I also had none.
> Only head voice and chest.
>Try as I might especially in the presence of singers who could sing
>falsetto, I could not reproduce it. It's for this reason that I've become
>convinced that it is a product of a lower fach. It has always been my
>experience that the baritones and basses could sing the soprano
>line, but not me. I have felt left out . : )
> This suggests to me that CTs may be baritones or basses who
>tried to be tenors, but failed. : ) Reg.

huh? I'm a tenor and I've definitely got falsetto. I can sing falsetto
higher than my fellow student baritones and basses. they posses a thicker
hootier falsetto, wherease mine is a lot lighter, sweeter and faster. I've
hear pavarotti sing falsetto in some arias, and what about mario lanza?
Listen to 'Arrivaderci Roma.' And I've heard carreras slip into falsetto a
zillion times.
Jeff Buckley, for a non-operatic high tenor had an extraordinary falsetto,
which he swelled into full co-ordinated voice often.
As to CT's being baritones or basses who couldn't be tenors, pure bollocks.
(....now there's a loaded pun). I think CT's may purely miss their voice of
pre-pubescent days if anything.

Mirko

emusic.com