Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Wed Mar 14, 2001  10:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Gay? Re: What's a countertenor?

At 06:36 PM 14-03-01 +0000, you wrote:
>I think the idea of female tenor and male soprano are both great.
>Tenor, Alto, Soprano, Bass are all *part* names from early
>counterpoint. These terms used to denote function only. They are not
>gender-specifc (although women weren't allowed to sing much back
>then, but that's just plain stupid).
>
>Tako

Countertenor

Of course it is function and public perception that we're trying to
communicate in a name. If a CT masquerades to the public as a
TENOR, it's just as well the days of thrown pineapples and rotten
fruit are past, otherwise there may be more than a few who feel they
have been misled into attending a concert that offered different
expectations.

I thought it was well understood Tako that for hundreds
of years GAY, did NOT mean homosexual, but apparently you didn't
know this or you've choose to feign ignorance of the fact.

For a male soprano to advertise himself as a tenor suggests to me
a conscious or subconscious desire to delude the public.
It also, is called dishonesty. Reg.

"One must have loved a woman of genius
to comprehend the happiness of loving a fool."

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10261 Gay? Re: What's a countertenor? Tako Oda   Thu  3/15/2001   3 KB

emusic.com