Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Wed Mar 14, 2001  4:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Countertenor hogs

mike said:
<< pants roles are women dressing like men and sounding like women. you
must be thinking of 'travesty' roles, david. this reminds me of people who
call dogs 'he' and cats 'she' (yeah right, mike! i'm sure all nod in
agreement!). >>

Well, I know what pants roles are, and I know the original intention of the
composer. I was just saying that it seems that if a male singer could sing
the notes, a male singer might be better for a male character. (of course,
all the guys who like to see women flirting with each other probably
disagree!) But, of course, that probably won't be something that any opera
company is going to do, just for historical reasons...

Sincerely,

David Grogan
East Texas Baptist University
Marshall, Texas

Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a revolver first.
~Josh Billings~